Archive May 2010
I’ve been shooting a lot more for television lately (as opposed to print) so I thought I would share some commercials that just got released!!
Makeup and Hair: Me
Makeup for Dr. Brady Barr: Deborah Meadow
Makeup and Hair: Me and Deborah Meadow
Key Makeup and Hair Artist: Mathias Alan
Assistant Makeup and Hair: Me
These Boost Mobile Commercials were really fun to shoot because of the prosthetics! They had a separate Special FX team come in for the crazy faces and we were cracking up all day! There is one more from the series that hasn’t been released yet, and it’s the scariest face ever!! They made her hold a baby and the baby FREAKED. haha!
The Side Braid:
The Hottest Hairstyle This Spring/Summer
Ok, I admit it, I’m a little behind on reporting this trend but since I’m really loving braids at the moment, I figured there’s nothing wrong with being a little bit fashionably late. The side braid frenzy all started on Alexander Wang’s Spring/Summer 2010 runway. Hairstyling master, Guido Palau gave each model a long, messy braid which rested on their left shoulder. To create this style, Guido was inspired by the seventies and early eighties; he added extensions in the model’s hair because he says “girls of that period didn’t really cut their hair.”
Top: Rachel McAdams, Leona Lewis. Bottom: Selena Gomez
Soon after the Spring/Summer Fashion Weeks came to an end, celebs all over began adopting this trend and making it their own! Rachel McAdams kept the style messy, while Leona Lewis switched it up by making her side braid into a fishtail style plait. Selena Gomez kept the style young by abandoning the matte texture seen on the runway and making her style shiny and fresh.
Polish supermodel, Kasia Struss was seen sporting a Rapunzel-like, platinum side braid in a recent issue of Vogue Korea. No coincidence here, Guido Palau was responsible for this look as well.
Elle Netherland’s recent June 2010 issue features Nimue Smit on the cover wearing a crimped side braid!
To Get the Messy Side Braid Look:
1. The original style seen on the runway is very matte, so start off by spraying or sprinkling a mattifier into your hair. I love Osis’ Dust it Mattifying Powder. It gives your hair the matte texture we want, while also giving you tons of body! Great for the messy/big look.
2. If your hair lacks volume, tease it up near the hairline and on the sides. The look is supposed to be messy so don’t worry about making it perfect.
3. Part your hair to side and bring it all around to the opposite side that you just parted it.
4. Now it’s time to braid! (I’m assuming you know how to do a simple braid but if not check out this simple picture tutorial here).
5. Secure the end with a small hair tie or ribbon and you’re good to go!
LOVING this editorial in the newest Vogue Nippon!! One of my biggest pet peeves is when avant garde makeup looks sloppy and distracts from the whole picture. This is a gorgeous example of extreme makeup done right!! It still tasteful and fashionable, and I love the subtle changes in each picture. I’m also really into braids right now, and these braids are to die for. These pics are definitely going into my inspiration folder
Makeup AND Hair: Eugene Souleiman
Photographer: Nathaniel Goldberg
Model: Dree Hemingway
It’s that time again!! Smashbox is having their Friends and Family Sale, and since you are all my friends (and family), you are entitled to use my code! This is a great time to stock up on your favorite Smashbox items before Estee Lauder screws up the formulas. Just Kidding (kind of).
Receive 20% Off Your Entire Order!
Sale Ends: Friday, May 28th at 11:59pm
Everyone is freaking out about the season finale of LOST tonight, which inspired the question:
If you were stranded on a desert island, and could only choose 1 beauty product to have with you, what would it be??
FYI: The island already has sunscreen, toothpaste, and deodorant so don’t worry about “essentials.” It also has 1 outlet because I know some of you can’t live without your hot tools.
Earlier today, Sex and the City 2 star, Mario Cantone, hosted the 16th annual CEW Beauty Awards at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. If you are not familiar with the awards, CEW stands for Cosmetic Executive Women and the event is basically the Academy Awards of the beauty world!
Check out the Winners!!
BATH AND BODY : Bath/Shower Product Mass
Olay | Body Wash with Tone Enhancing Ribbons
BATH AND BODY : Bath/Shower Product Prestige
Fresh | Sugar Acai Body Scrub
BATH AND BODY : Body Treatment Mass
Vaseline | Sheer Infusion
BATH AND BODY : Body Treatment Prestige
Origins | Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins Night Health Bedtime Spray
FACIAL SKINCARE : Acne Treatment
FACIAL SKINCARE : Anti-Aging Mass
Olay | Professional Pro-X Deep Wrinkle Treatment
FACIAL SKINCARE : Anti-Aging Prestige
Lancôme | Génifique Youth Activating Concentrate
FACIAL SKINCARE : Cleanser & Scrub Mass
FACIAL SKINCARE : Cleanser & Scrub Prestige
FACIAL SKINCARE : Eye Treatment Mass
Olay | Regenerist Anti-Aging Eye Roller
FACIAL SKINCARE : Eye Treatment Prestige
Keep Reading For The Complete List!!
Is Nothing Safe From Reality TV?
The CW held it’s annual upfronts today, where the president of entertainment for the channel announced that the winner of next season’s America’s Next Top Model will grace the cover of Italian Vogue, instead of Seventeen Magazine like the season before. Jay Manuel confirmed the news on his Twitter five hours ago.
Italian Vogue is the world’s most influential fashion magazine. America’s Next Top Model is a reality show depicting a very inaccurate portrayal into the fashion and modeling world. It is meant for entertainment purposes and the very few models that do actually work after the show do commercial modeling, not fashion. How did this happen?
LA Times Entertainment Editor, Joy Press, wrote on her Twitter saying “The next America’s Next Top Model winner will get cover of Italian Vogue, not 17. Which means they actually have to find…a top model.” Hopefully this next season they will be looking for a model with a more editorial look..
Playmate of the Year Makeup How-To!
Hugh Hefner introduced the world to 2010′s Playmate of the Year on May 15th at the Palms in Las Vegas. Hope Dworaczyk is her name, and I’m loving her makeup and hair at this party!! If you want to recreate this easy but sexy look, check out the steps below!
1. Start with a silicone based makeup primer to smooth the skin and ensure that your makeup lasts the whole night!
2. Apply a medium coverage matte foundation all over your face with a brush or sponge and blend well. Hope opted for a matte-skin look, so you can use a mattifying foundation such as Makeup Forever’s Mat Velvet or Maybelline’s Dream Matte Mousse. OR simply buff your face with a loose powder to give any foundation the matte effect.
3. Lightly swipe a soft pink blush only onto the apples of your cheeks. Hope’s blush is barely noticeable but she stilllooks naturally flushed and healthy.
4. Fill in your brows with a brow powder or pencil. Keep them natural looking but stil more on the full side. If you already have fuller brows, either fill in gaps, or simply skip this step!
5. This look is all about the lashes so keep your eyeshadow simple and clean! Choose a light ivory or shell colored shadow, such as MAC’s Shroom eyeshadow. Apply it from your brow bone to your lashline. Hope is wearing a neutral brown color in the crease of her eye to give slight definition and color.
6. Time for the lashes!! Choose long, wispy false eyelashes such as Ardell’s lashes in #106 or #136. These are perfect, and you can buy them at most drugstores! To take it one step further, glue several short length, individual lashes along your lower lashline as well!
7. Once the eyelash glue has dried, curl your lashes to open up your eyes, and apply several coats of volumizing mascara.
8. Next, line your top lashline with black liner (pencil or gel) in a medium thickness. Keep the liner on the outer 3/4 of the eye and taper it off before you reach the inner corner.
9. Hope’s lower waterline is rimmed with a jet black liner. I like MAC’s Smolder for the waterline, or use MUFE’s Aqua Eyes in black to get it to stay all night!
10. Apply a dark grey eyeshadow with a small brush on your lower lashline and buff it out. Most of the smokiness comes from the waterline, so keep the lower lashline soft and smudgy looking.
11. Last but not least choose a baby pink lipstick for your lips! No gloss!YSL ROUGE VOLUPTÉ in Lingerie Pink #7 is perfect!
Let Me Know How it Goes!
Tarte is an often an overlooked makeup brand but a lot of their products are so amazing! Not only that, but they contribute to environmental wellfare with eco friendly compacts and a partnership with the Sustainable Amazon Partnership (which promotes management of the Amazon Rainforest). Many of their products contain “super-fruits” and have natural ingredients without sulfates, parabans and chemicals. Today only, Tarte is up to 70% off! They have awesome sets on sale featuring their bestselling products.
I love the Eyequatic Waterproof Summer Essentials Set, which includes three creaseless cream shadows, a cheek stain and a mascara for only $20!! AND the set of 9 lipglosses in a suer cute clutch for $19!
Check it out!
Go to HauteLook Now
**Hautelook is a website which hosts private, online sales. It’s similar to GiltGroup. You have to register to see/buy from the sale, but I have bought from them in the past and they are totally legit Past beauty sales have included Eve Pearl, Laura Mercier, CoverFX etc..